VIETNAMESE CULTURE, DISCOVER OUR CALENDAR OF FESTIVALS AND HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
- 2020 CALENDAR OF FESTIVALS AND HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
- THE MOST IMPORTANT FESTIVALS AND HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
- TẾT FESTIVAL OR VIETNAMESE NEW YEAR – JANUARY / FEBRUARY
- HOI AN, LANTERN OR FULL MOON FESTIVAL
- LIM HILL FESTIVAL – FEBRUARY
- THE FESTIVAL OF AL PAGODA IN PERFUME – FEBRUARY
- THANH MINH FESTIVAL OR THE SPRING FESTIVAL IN VIETNAM – MARCH / APRIL
- PHU GIAY FESTIVAL – MARCH / APRIL
- THE HUNG FESTIVAL – APRIL
- THE AUTUMN FESTIVAL – SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER
- THE MAIN NATIONAL HOLIDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
- QUICK OVERVIEW OF THE TẾT FESTIVAL, NEW YEAR IN VIETNAM
2020 CALENDAR OF FESTIVALS AND HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
The ideal, if you want to discover the culture and customs of a country like Vietnam, is to go there during festivals and holidays. Today we are going to tell you about the most important festivals in the country, so that you can organize your stay accordingly and prepare for the best. For example, it is essential to book your accommodation if you arrive in the middle of the Vietnamese New Year.
The festivities in Vietnam are mainly organized around the lunar calendar (lunar new year). True mixture of culture, customs and religions, here are the main festivals and holidays in Vietnam.
THE MOST IMPORTANT FESTIVALS AND HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
the most important festivals and holidays in Vietnam are:
TẾT FESTIVAL OR VIETNAMESE NEW YEAR – JANUARY / FEBRUARY
The Vietnamese Tet Festival or New Year is the most important festival in the country. It is celebrated during the first 4 days of the new lunar calendar (January / February), like the Chinese New Year !!! During the Têt, the houses and the streets are covered with decorations, the musical processions are celebrated throughout the day with typical Chinese dances with dragons and very many firecrackers. At night, fireworks are organized in the main cities of the country.
HOI AN, LANTERN OR FULL MOON FESTIVAL
The Hoi An Lantern Festival is celebrated every month of the year on the 14th day of the lunar month. It is therefore easy to find yourself in a beautiful region at this time.
- To live an unforgettable moment, go to the old town of Hoi An . For the occasion, the old quarter is transformed into a place for massive shows, and the streets are closed to traffic.
LIM HILL FESTIVAL – FEBRUARY
It occurs mainly in the province of Bac Ninh, in Lim Hill, on the 13th day of the first lunar month. On the program, representation and traditional songs interpreted from the shores, boats or Lim pagoda.
- If you plan to be in the vicinity of Hanoi on February 17, 2020 or February 6, 2020 , we recommend that you include this step in your stay. Lim located less than 30 minutes from Hanoi.
THE FESTIVAL OF AL PAGODA IN PERFUME – FEBRUARY
The perfume pagoda festival takes place on the 15th day of the first month of the lunar calendar. It takes place in Lang yen (less than 2 hours south of Hanoi) because its pagoda is the largest Buddhist pilgrimage site in Vietnam.
- If you are in the surroundings, on February 19, 2020 you will attend a very beautiful spectacle (not too touristy). Will take place on February 08, 2020 for info.
THANH MINH FESTIVAL OR THE SPRING FESTIVAL IN VIETNAM – MARCH / APRIL
Thanh Minh is the second most important festival in the country. During this celebration, we visit the dead. The graves of family and friends are cleaned and decorated to celebrate the arrival of spring with them. Takes place on the 5th day of the third lunar month of the year (March / April). This celebration is more family oriented and lasts several days.
PHU GIAY FESTIVAL – MARCH / APRIL
This festival is a tribute to one of the 4 Vietnamese “immortal gods”. Takes place the first 10 days of the 3rd month of the lunar calendar (from April 5 to 14, 2020 // and from March 24 to April 2, 2020 )
It takes place at Phu Giay temple, in the province of Nam Dinh, about 90km east of Hanoi. It is a festival full of foreclosure and traditions (not very touristy).
THE HUNG FESTIVAL – APRIL
To celebrate the birth of the first king of Vietnam, go to the Hung temple, near the small town of Viet Tri, less than 2 hours north of Hanoi. On the program, Vietnamese operas and traditional saber dances in a sumptuous setting. The scents of incense on a background of bronze drums will transport you to the past.
- In order not to miss the Hung festival, you will have to be around April 14, 2020 // April 2, 2020 .
THE AUTUMN FESTIVAL – SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER
The fall festival, also known as the harvest festival or full moon festival. Adored by children who parade and generally receive gifts. Takes place in all major cities, the 18th day of the 8th lunar month ( September 13, 2020 and October 1, 2020 .
THE MAIN NATIONAL HOLIDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS IN VIETNAM
Apart from the festivals mentioned above and based on the lunar calendar, here are the main public holidays in Vietnam:
- The anniversary of the creation of the Vietnamese Communist Party – February 3
- Ho Chi Minh’s birthday – May 18
- Reunification Day – April 30
- Birth of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam – September 2
- Christmas and New Years Day. Unlike neighboring countries, there is a strong Catholic community in Vietnam.